Bus rides in India can be taxing. Distances are too much…the dust and the heat further dim down your spirit. By the time you reach somewhere, you are dead in your head. But BRTS in Ahmedabad is super cool. Comfortable, air conditioned buses operating across the length and breadth of the city at extremely affordable prices. In a bus…what do I see around myself?
- Loads of people, pushing everyone around to make little space for their legs, some space to comfortably stand. But no complaints.
- Stink and sweat covering bodies, but not covering their minds or their humor. Nor is it enough to dampen their spirit.
- Women and children being pushed around, just like everyone else, but the assurance of safety in their eyes.
- People of all strata sitting and huddling up together, laughing and chatting as if they’ve known each other for ages. There are worries in their minds, but they don’t crop up to their lips.
- Babies…bothered by the heat in this part of the country, but smiling as the cool air from the air conditioner gently caresses their rosy cheek. Albeit for a few minutes in the bus, they still smile…and that is priceless.
Now it really depends on what you see around you…you could choose to see the large number of people huddled up together, stinking…or you could see the smiles on their faces!